Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Pure, Unadulterated Consciousness
If I had to describe myself in a single word, 'scientist' would definitely be at the top of the list. My definition of science is simply: the search for truth. There is no reason why science and spirituality cannot interplay. For example, there is no reason why future science (in particular, quantum mechanics) cannot find evidence to support the existence of a god. Science is a mere infant. It has a long journey of growth ahead.
All major revolutionary discoveries in science grew out of the imagination of scientists who society considered a little crazy. The Roman Inquisition imprisoned Galileo for claiming that the Earth was not the center of the universe.
Well, here's another heretic with whom I enjoy exploring our collective imagination. Since the practice of ancient Buddhism, people have claimed that everything is "connected." Using obscure scientific theories, critical thought, and my own intuition and imagination, I've constructed my own model for the working universe.
My mostly unsubstantiated model of the universe looks like this: the single unifying force (i.e. the unified field theory, which Einstein spent his life trying to construct) is consciousness. The universe is a sea of consciousness that fluctuates like the tides of an ocean. Consciousness is everywhere all at once. The universe is inherently 'intelligent' and results in the arranged complexity of the physical world. Human beings are just pockets of consciousness trying to experience itself in a physical form. There is no anthropomorphic god. We are the gods because we are consciousness and consciousness is the universe.
Trippy stuff huh? There are plenty of sources and experiments I'll describe in future posts which contributed to this model. I encourage you to explore your own mental model of the universe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I assume Alan Watts is one of your guys? If not, I can't recommend him highly enough for someone who thinks along those lines.
ReplyDeleteAlan Watts is da boss. Is there a particular book or video you recommend? I've only read/seen little of his work.
DeleteHe has a million things out there; for me it was more of a cumulative effect rather than a particular work. One great series is his "Out of Your Mind" talks, which are like twelve hours long, but divided into little 15 or 20 minute chunks. I've listened to those while cleaning house or waiting in airports etc. Good stuff, and there are plenty of torrents available of it (I'm sure Watts wouldn't mind).
DeleteIn general I like his audio talks because you can hear the rascally twinkle in his eye behind his crisp, educated British accent.
Awesome thanks! I do kind of like the sound of his voice also.
ReplyDeleteI recommend Christopher Langan's Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe. Christpher Langan has essentially developed a mathematical proof for the existence of god that has yet to be disproven. Very cool stuff!
ReplyDeleteFor a simple understanding of the model, read his short philosophical essay "A (very) Brief History of Time". This can be found somewhere at his website ctmu.org. You'll find your ideas and his have a lot in common. :)
Kris
Awesome thanks, I will definitely check those out. I also hear the book 'My big TOE' is great too.
Delete"Human beings are just pockets of consciousness trying to experience itself in a physical form."
ReplyDeleteI heard this many times in my life, whether it was in church or in University. That itself is already a supporting fact that we all may look different at the same thing (Plato Cave). Therefore, great post.
Holistically, as scientist I think we need to have both quantitative and qualitative research to search for real truth. Direct measurement (quantitative) without adding value to it (qualitative) is useless. It works the other way around too. What are your thoughts about this, fellow scientist?
Modern scientific thought is still an infant. I don't see why science and spirituality won't intersect in the future.
DeleteThen again, our perceptions do create our reality. Even scientific studies have major biases and are frequently overturned.
Because we perceive both the subjective and objective and not only the objective, and science only deals with the objective, science alone will never be sufficient in describing our entire sphere of existence.
In that case, spirituality may become the science of the subjective side.